Monday, September 5, 2011

Sunny cushions to break up the monotone

The great thing about a black and white or neutral base for a room is that it's easy to change the look by adding your current colour/s of choice. It's no secret that yellow is the hue of the moment for me so its no surprise that I've added some cushions with yellow tones to our living room. 


Renowned interior designer, Patricia Gray wrote on her blog that "yellow wakes up a room like the rising sun, it is cheerful and uplifting" and I follow her sentiment. For a little uplifting sunshine in our own living room, I started by adding some yellow wooden beads from Bali (see more here).


I'm now working on some abstract artwork in pink and yellow (see more here). 


Textiles were just the obvious thing to add next. After plenty of practise with other cushions (here and here), I sewed four 30 x 50cm lumbar cushions in a yellow and white striped fabric and a floral fabric with yellow, pink, white and a touch of purple.


Both fabrics were found at a nearby Spotlight and were around $10 and $12 per metre.


I am partial to a fresh flower and yellow orchids are a real fave at the moment, for their longevity and their vibrant colour. 



Once the artwork is complete, that should be enough yellow. I don't want to go overboard, just a few pops of colour to bring some life to an otherwise monotone space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...