Thursday, August 18, 2011

A candy shop of abstract art


Have you noticed all the gorgeous abstract art in bright colours going around of late? I can't stop thinking about having something like this in our home, particularly one with yellow and pink, a combination I am drawn to. Already, I am forgetting how deceptively hard and time-consuming it is to paint and I'm really tempted to have a go at doing my own. This style of painting appears very different to my previous attempt at imitating the bolder, graphic designer prints of Florence Broadhurst, Kelly Wearstler and Jonathan Adler but I really want to give it a go. 


I detailed in an inspiration file post that I'm going for modern, vintage glamour with a touch of Hollywood Regency on a budget for our living roomA key part of my plan is a black and white scheme with a few yellow touches, a bright piece of abstract art is a bit of a side step. At first, I doubted whether this would look part of the room but after looking at the work of Anna Spiro, Kelly Wearstler and Jonathan Adler, I think I could make it work. If I can actually paint something decent that is.

Kelly Wearstler's home via hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com





I wish my mum had nothing better to do than paint something for me as she is an artist leaning towards abstract works. Last time she did something for me, it was very different to her usual style (you can see it here)...maybe that's why it took a few years to make it to my wall. This would certainly be more her thing and if she wasn't on holiday, I'd be begging for a lesson at least. I don't even know if I should buy oil or acrylics for a work like this. This type of painting seems the type where you should throw caution to the wind, leave perfection by the wayside and dive right in for some freestyle paint sloshing! Do I dare?!

1 comment:

  1. I love every single one of these paintings. I made an abstract painting earlier in the year that turned out really well, these are inspiring me to do another!

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...