Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Crazy for cushions


After sewing a pair of European cushions from Simplicity pattern 5600, the cushion bug had taken hold so I started making one of the other very simple patterns for a small square cushion. Using an ornage trellis fabric from Spotlight, I sewed a pair of cushions for my mum's outdoor area.


 Envelope closure on orange trellis cushions

Now I'm feeling confident on the basic cushion, I've adapted the pattern to fit a 30 x 50cm lumbar cushion. Using a Greek key pattern in an off white and rust colour, these three cushions are now on armchairs at my mum's place.
Greek key fabric from Spotlight







































































It was a process of experimentation and improving my own pattern so the envelope closure is on a different spot on each of the three cushions. By the final cushion, I put the opening three-quarters of the way along (as per photo below), making it easier to insert a long skinny cushion into the cover.

Envelope closure on Greek key lumbar cushions
Now that I've worked out the dimensions that work best, I've cut my own pattern from brown craft paper. When I get the urge to whip up a cushion, this makes it so much quicker as all the deliberating over measurements has been done.


I've now started making cushions for my own place, the first being this yellow one above. Creating something in the space of a weekday evening is so satisfying. Now I must get back to learning to insert a zip.

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking a lot lately about making my own cushions. I will have to pick up the simplicity pattern and give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...