Monday, February 15, 2010

Birthday Bliss

 
Sketch inside my birthday card by Leezette Chapman

For a child raised in a family of six children, a birthday is a rare chance to eat, do and receive all your favourite things, or at least some of them. While I may not be able to get away with calling myself a child anymore, I most definitely take the opportunity to indulge on my birthday. Age has never worried me, but then I haven't reached 30 so I guess there are plenty of '0' birthdays ahead to have me slinking under a rock come February.

As you may have guessed, I have just celebrated my birthday and I can confidently say that my heart was singing. Not that there was any hunt involved. The thrill of a birthday is not in the chase, it is in sitting back and seeing what comes your way. Having friends and family that know just what to give and/or bake you is one of life's blessings. Somehow, it surprises me each year and I find myself practically humming like my sister. It's a cinch to tell when she's happy because she hums, and hums, and hums. Almost like a tweeting bird.

I love birds and I love birdcages but not together. I'm not much for pets. I know, I know, it's a little odd and cold-hearted, I've been told. I like birds soaring above or hopping along branches. One of the things I miss most about the country is waking to the sound of birds then opening the curtains and jumping back into bed to gaze up at the huge expanse of sky punctured only by treetops. What does this have to do with my birthday? Well...

My artist mother finally finished a painting for my birthday. It has been a long time in the making but that just makes it all the sweeter. Birds swoop across the canvas, a birdcage dangles from a streetlamp, old buildings hide in the background and French words are scrawled over the scene. It's a calming aqua for our bedroom with touches of pink and chocolate. For an abstract painter, it's very whimsical but exactly what I asked for. I couldn't be happier. Photo to come.

This lantern from my gastro friend is shaped like a birdcage too and satisfies my white, French country slant.
More birds swooped in on greeting cards and affirmation cards, then some bicyles started rolling in.

This kikki.k notepad and pen is a slice of pedal pushing perfection from my cycling idol. 'A Box of Birds' contains the little wooden stand and 24 uplifting messages from my work mates. They had no idea but I am a fan of Little Affirmations and have another set in this range called 'A Little Bird Told Me'. One for work, one for home! All with difference messages and illustrations by Kate Knapp.
I loved too many things about my birthday to mention them all before you fall asleep, but I cannot sign off without mentioning my beautiful yellow Cruz bag from iboutique.com.au courtesy of Charles himself. It was top of my wish list and I cannot fault it. I even love the smell, mmm leather. I wish I could get me five bags from that site but I have been too spoilt already this year.

My mystery birthday dinner turned into a real surprise with a trip to see A Midsummer Night's Dream in Melbourne's Royal Botanic Gardens. I'm not sure if it was the celebratory Pimm's at Madame Brussels with friends earlier, the genius of Shakespeare or the skill of the actors, but it was hilarious and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening. Not to mention the hamper from the Botanical which we nibbled on throughout.

I was so lucky to have several cakes and other culinery delights whipped up for my special day. So many that I can't possibly squeeze them all into this post so stay tuned for my next post on birthday food with recipes and a lowdown on the Botanical hamper.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THE YELLOW BAG LOOKS GREAT AGAINST THE RED TOO!!! XX

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...